3.31.2012

A Modern Nursery




Architecture isn't just about designing buildings, but also how you perceive and improve spaces.  When my first child was born, we were challenged with transforming a cramped guest room into a bright and functional nursery.       

My husband and I chose not to find out whether we were having a boy or a girl.  Partly, I was superstitious. Mostly, I just wanted a healthy little one.  But by the third trimester I was struggling to get through the final months without knowing who this mystery baby was. I tried to distract myself by focusing on the nursery. The gender neutral nursery.

I love the color orange.  It's bright, and it's cheerful.  It was an accent color at my wedding and I wanted to feature it in the baby's room. I knew it could work for either a boy or a girl.  Grey walls, orange pops of color, white furniture and some other color accent for a boy or a girl. Turquoise would be the final touch to make this room officially 'boy,' bright pink for 'girl.'

The base palette was completed just a few weeks before our son, Laird, was born.  We waited until after we brought him home to add sentimental touches to make the room unique to our family.  A sailboat mobile represents our love for sailing and Cape Cod summers.  The canvas print hanging over the changing table is a photo we took at the hotel where we were married in Hawaii.  Only a sharp eye would pick up on Laird Hamilton's own "Laird" surfboard amongst the colorful collection of boards.  A tribute to our son's name.


The hope is that the room will grow as Laird grows.  It will not be just a baby's room.  The bright palette and flexible furniture layout will lend itself to a new identity as Laird becomes a walking toddler and a playing little boy.  I just hope he invites me to push matchbox cars and build legos with him someday! 

Above photo: Oeuf Classic Crib, Serena & Lily white bumper, I had the crib sheet custom made from one of their patterns, but now Serena & Lily offer it as a standard sheet Pimento French Ring Crib Sheet, I wish we didn't have carpeting, but we do, but I tried to cover it up with this bright rug from Dwell Studios Draper Stripe Rug, Stacked Animal Wall Sticker & Wall Paint color: Benjamin Moore Timber Wolf

Above photo: A lamp I worshipped for years before purchasing, Jonathan Adler's Giraffe Lamp, Ikea bookshelves, Room and Board dresser & changing table, Laird's chair & Dream Ring

Above photo:  I was highly skeptical about the need for a rocker, but I love the one I got and it's essential for our nap & bedtime routine. Room & Board allowed me to customize the fabric from their stock ones for something more stain resistant.  I chose the Doss fabric, Charcoal.  Also, I kept the blackout curtain very simple and selected a Dwell Studio pattern (Cameo Ovals) from The Shade Store.  


Photos by Muffy Kibbey Photography




1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.